Movie Subscription Box – Shoah By Claude Lanzmann
Our movie subscription boxes bring the excitement of art cinema to your home. Films from The Criterion Collection include influential classic films and modern cinema from around the globe. Each movie subscription box contains 2 (sometimes 3) movies from The Criterion Collection in Blu-Ray!
February Subscriptions are OPEN!
The February Film box features French Filmmaker Claude Lanzmann’s nine-hour opus: Shoah.
Retail Value: $99.95
Shoah By Claude Lanzmann
Over a decade in the making, Claude Lanzmann’s nine-hour-plus opus is a monumental investigation of the unthinkable: the murder of more than six million Jews by the Nazis. Using no archival footage, Lanzmann instead focuses on first-person testimonies (of survivors and former Nazis, as well as other witnesses), employing a circular, free-associative method in assembling them. The intellectual yet emotionally overwhelming Shoah is not a film about excavating the past but an intensive portrait of the ways in which the past is always present, and it is inarguably one of the most important cinematic works of all time.
- HOW IT WORKS
This is a Subscription You will be charged immediately when you purchase. Automatic renewal occurs every two months until you cancel. For existing subscribers: Please make sure to cancel before the 14th of the preceding month.
- DIRECTOR-APPROVED SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES
- New, restored 4K digital film transfer, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
- Three additional films by director Claude Lanzmann: A Visitor from the Living (1999, 68 minutes); Sobibór, October 14, 1943, 4 p.m. (2001, 102 minutes); and The Karski Report (2010, 49 minutes)
- New conversation between Lanzmann and critic Serge Toubiana
- Interview with Lanzmann from 2003 about A Visitor from the Living and Sobibór
- New interview with Caroline Champetier, assistant camera person on Shoah, and filmmaker Arnaud Desplechin
- PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Kent Jones and writings by Lanzmann
New cover by Sam Smith