BURLAP AND BARREL
Black Urfa Chili
Black Urfa Chili comes from Urfa, Turkey, where it has been grown and cured for centuries. It has a rich, malty flavor with a lingering burn. The chilis ripen to a bright red color, then are laid out under sheets in the hot summer sun. This technique cures the pepper in its own juices and gives it a deep umami flavor and beautiful dark color. Great in stews, tomato sauces, salad dressings, chocolate desserts or sprinkled over fluffy scrambled eggs.
Please note that the Black Urfa Chili contains a little sunflower oil and may appear to be slightly clumpy or wet. There’s nothing to be concerned about — it’s all part of what makes the chili so delicious!
• Origin: Urfa, Turkey
• Aliases: Urfa biber, isot
• Process: Cured in the sun and stone-ground
• Ingredients: Urfa Chili (Capsicum annuum), sunflower seed oil, salt (salt content is 1% by weight, or about 0.5 grams per jar)
• Tasting notes: Raisin • Espresso • Summer Night
Size: 1.8 oz glass jar
Out of stock
Burlap & Barrel Black Urfa Chili comes from Urfa, Turkey, where it has been grown and cured for centuries. It has a rich, malty flavor with a lingering burn.
- About the Brand
Burlap & Barrel founded by Ethan Frisch a native New Yorker, entrepreneur and activist around food systems and social justice. Ethan has worked in kitchens as a line cook and pastry chef in New York and London, and as the chef behind Guerrilla Ice Cream and Ori Zohar who is an experienced social entrepreneur and the co-founder of Burlap & Barrel, where he leads the company's domestic operations, eCommerce and finances. Burlap & Barrel is a Public Benefit Corporation building new international food supply chains that are equitable, transparent and traceable. They are working towards ending inequality and exploitation in food systems that disenfranchise skilled farmers by Connecting smallholder farmers to high-value markets, Educating consumers about the impact of product traceability on human rights and Sourcing unique foods with terroir that are grown biodynamically and organically using traditional techniques.
- How to Use
• Season kebabs and chilis for a rich spiciness
• Top off baba ghanoush and hummus
• Add to chocolate and fruit-based sweets like hot chocolate and brownies • Add to Spaghetti
* It's delicious on kebabs and other grilled meats and veggies
* Delicious when cooked into stews and chilis,
* Add to salad dressings,
* Sprinkle on fluffy scrambled eggs
* Mix into brownies
* Mix in chocolate desserts for a little extra depth and a hint of heat
Origin: Urfa, Turkey
Aliases: Urfa biber, isot
Heat level: 5,000-10,000 Scoville units
Process: Cured in the sun and stone-ground
Ingredients: Urfa Chili (Capsicum annuum), sunflower seed oil, salt (salt content is 1% by weight, or about 0.5 grams per jar)
Tasting notes: Raisin • Espresso • Summer Night
Out of stock