BURLAP AND BARREL
Burlap & Barrel’s Cured Sumac grows wild around Gaziantep, Turkey, where instead of being dried, it’s chopped and packed in salt to preserve it. It has a bright, sour, salty and slightly fermented flavor.
• Origin: Gaziantep, Turkey
• Aliases: Sumak
• Process: Chopped, then packed in salt and cured
• Ingredients: Sumac berries (Rhus coriaria), salt (salt content is 1% by weight, or about 0.5 grams per jar)
• Tasting notes: Sour Cherry • Salt & Vinegar • Sunny Acidity
Size: 2.3 oz glass jar OR 16.0 oz plastic container
Out of stock
- About the Brand
Burlap & Barrel founded by Ethan Frisch a native New Yorker, entrepreneur and activist around food systems and social justice. Ethan has worked in kitchens as a line cook and pastry chef in New York and London, and as the chef behind Guerrilla Ice Cream and Ori Zohar who is an experienced social entrepreneur and the co-founder of Burlap & Barrel, where he leads the company's domestic operations, eCommerce and finances. Burlap & Barrel is a Public Benefit Corporation building new international food supply chains that are equitable, transparent and traceable. They are working towards ending inequality and exploitation in food systems that disenfranchise skilled farmers by Connecting smallholder farmers to high-value markets, Educating consumers about the impact of product traceability on human rights and Sourcing unique foods with terroir that are grown biodynamically and organically using traditional techniques.
- How to Use
• Sprinkle on top of hummus, baba ganoush or eggs
• Dust over roast or fried fish and chicken
• Add to chopped tomatoes and cucumbers with a few glugs of olive oil
• In Chickpea Sumac Salad (community recipe)
• In Çilbir-Inspired Eggs (community recipe)
• Pairs well with: Black Urfa Chili, Smoked Pimenton Paprika, Wild Red Juniper Berries
Cured Sumac is a classic Middle Eastern finishing spice. Swap it for lemon juice in any recipe or use it to add character and brightness to salads, fish, meat or dips. It also makes a perfect topping for anything from hummus to salad to roasted veggies or meat to scrambled eggs.
Origin: Gaziantep, Turkey
Process: Chopped, then packed in salt and cured
Ingredients: Sumac berries (Rhus coriaria), salt (salt content is 1% by weight, or about 0.5 grams per jar)
Tasting notes: Sour Cherry • Salt & Vinegar • Sunny Acidity
Out of stock