Rancho Gordo Cranberry Beans
Versatile and velvety, Rancho Gordo’s Cranberry Bean is a thin-skinned Borlotti bean that produces a rich, indulgent bean broth, making it perfect for classic Italian dishes as well as simple pot beans.
Cranberry beans are soft and dense with a velvety, rich texture. Cranberry is an odd name for a lovely, versatile bean.
Thought to be originally from Colombia, the bean has been bred around the world to become Madeira, Borlotti, Tounges of Fire, Wren’s Egg and more.
In Mexico you’ll find these as Cacahuate (peanut) beans and in Patzcuaro, you’ll fall in love with them in a good Sopa Tarasca, which is about one third pureed cranberry beans, one third roasted tomatoes and one third chicken stock, topped off with some deep fried tortilla strips.
Size: 1 Lb Bag
Suggestions: Minestrone soups, pasta e fagioli (pasta fazool), soups, casseroles, New England baked beans
and baked beans.
Out of stock
Rancho Gordo Cranberry bean has a rich texture perfect for classic Italian dishes and simple pot beans. Cranberry beans are soft and dense with a velvety, rich texture.
- About the Brand
Rancho Gordo was founded by Steven Sando
- How to Use
* Cranberry beans with garam masala
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, sweat all of the vegetables - ¼ cup each of diced carrot, diced onions, diced sweet potato, 3 cloves garlic, ¼ celery in 1 to 2 tbl ghee (clarified butter) until translucent.
2. Add the Garam Masala and stir to combine.
3. Add 5 cups chicken or vegetable stock and cranberry beans (that is soaked for 4 to 8 hours) and cook, covered, for at least 2 hours, or until beans start to become creamy. Add the lemon juice and season with salt.
4. Serve over Basmati rice and garnish with goats yogurt, mint and cilantro
* The thin skins of Cranberry beans help produce a rich bean broth, making it the natural friend of pasta e fagioli (pasta fazool) as the liquid coats each noodle with its luxurious sauce.
* A favorite meal is a bowl of Cranberry beans with poached chicken pieces, drizzled with your best fruity olive oil. Simple and sublime!
Out of stock